Peppermint Heaven – 20 Questions
Juno and Spark were in the Chicago indie scene but trekked to LA to evolve Peppermint Heaven. This piece sees them field ing a customised set of questions from Pete and owning up to a few influences. We’ll try to add one of the duo’s video’s as we find them intriguing. Enjoy!
- The radio is playing. What song would you cross the room to turn UP and what song would you cross the room to turn OFF?
This week it would “Lazarus” by David Bowie that would be turned up and “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber that would be turned off. Sorry Justin!
- The third track on an album is often a gem – can you think of any? (artist/title/source album) – as many as you like!!!
Since I’m listening to Blackstar by David Bowie, “Lazarus” is the third track and his first Top 40 hit in the US since the 80s. In honor of Glen Frey, the third track on Hotel California is “Life In The Fast Lane.” Track 3 on Songs From The Big Chair by the legendary Tears For Fears is the legendary “Everybody Wants To Rule The World.” I think you’re right about the third track on albums being a gem – on our album it’s “The Waiting Game.”
- Suggest a song by any artist that makes you think of wintertime….please add any reasons as to why this might be…
Of course, going way back it has to be “California Dreamin’” by The Mamas & The Papas. “All the leaves are brown…and the sky is grey…”
- Which song – any artist, any title – would have made a fine single release? IF it had been a SINGLE! – why do you think this?
Believe it or not, Madonna’s “Get Into The Groove” was never released as a single in the US. It would have surely gone to #1! One of the essential songs of the decade.
- A favourite track or tracks by Devo and why chosen
I always loved their version of The Rolling Stones “Satisfaction.” New wave perfection.
- An acoustic gem? What song/tune and who by? What’s the appeal?
“Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan comes to mind. What a great haunting melody.
- Allowing for the different musical backdrops…why do I hear trace elements of Leonard Cohen in your music? If this makes you laugh /deny, just say so, no offence will be taken!
I can honestly say, I’ve never heard anyone mention a Leonard Cohen influence. We
love his song “Hallelujah.” We’re quite flattered by your comparison. No offence taken!
- Suggest an expanded edition of an album release where the additional cuts impress you…and why?
The Expanded Edition of Our Favourite Shop by Style Council is simply great. Live version, B-sides, demos really show the depth of talent of one of my favourite bands. The Deluxe Version of Low Life by New Order has some great remixes, especially one of my all-time favourites “Shellshock.” There’s two for you.
- Where are you planning to tour next?
No plans yet for a tour, but maybe later in the year.
- Which of your own recordings show you at your most a/ aggressive b/ romantic c/ confused?
From our new album Precious Things, it would be “Talk To Me’ (aggressive), “Foreign Feelings” (romantic) and “Stranger Than Fiction” (confused).
- Which artist did you go to see perform with low expectations but ended up impressed? Where and when was this?
We saw Tears For Fears a few years ago at The Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles. They still had the magic. Great show.
- Where in the world in your opinion is live music best received? What venues appeal?
I love outdoor shows!….They relax the audience……!
- Two tickets suddenly arrive for a live performance, they are for someone you have always wanted to see…….which act or artist? Which numbers will you be hoping to hear?
Genesis…..I would hope they play the late seventies hits!
- Has a radio DJ anywhere (and any era) ever impressed you and if so why?
Steve Dahl…He told the truth….and spoke for all mankind in Chicago, honestly
- Can you dance? Do you dance? How do your family rate your dancing?
Peppermint Heaven are not dancers. Sorry to disappoint!
- Name a recording (an album maybe) that really “grew” on you and has ended up as essential listening? What is it about this recording that you value?
Court And Spark – Joni Mitchell….It grew on me a long time ago, and playing it felt like she was talking to me,….again and again….and has never left!
- Bjork or Laurie Anderson or Suzanne Vega? Do say something about each if you wish and name any favourite recordings or any performance memories
Laurie Anderson….I remember her with Peter Gabriel…..and this was the moment and it shall always be “Time!” Suzanne Vega and “Luka” – great song.
- Your favourite song or instrumental (any genre) with the title including the word “One”, “Five” and “Ten” ? Explain your choices
“One” by Three Dog Night.
“5 Gears In Reverse” – Elvis Costello & The Attractions
“10 Years Gone” – Led Zeppelin
- Is there a book or novel that you would like to create songs or the score for? Why is this?
We’re not interested in scoring – only writing 3 minute pop songs.
- I hear Talk Talk in your music……am I wrong?
Talk Talk is definitely in there. The Colour Of Spring album and of course “It’s My Life” all reflect that dark pop sensibility we’re going for with our music.
- Somehow I expect not….but did you enjoy school? Whether you did or not, which song reminds you of schooldays (artist / title / source album )? Happy or not …
School was fun. I remember The Clash and Combat Rock with “Rock The Casbah” and Falco with “Rock Me Amadeus.” It was a great time time for music!
You can watch the video for Peppermint Heaven’s ‘The Cage That We Live In’ here:
Peppermint Heaven’s new album ‘Precious Things’ is released on Friday 29th January 2016. For more information visit: http://bit.ly/1QtBhO3
(Thank you to Peppermint Heaven for taking part in our ’20 Questions With…’ series, Adam Jeffery Jones at Adam Jeffery Jones PR and Kieran White at KW Media)