The international star and former model Tally Koren creates music that is easy on the ear but spiced with original ideas and a splash of quirkiness. As she is around town to promote her new album A Love Song For You, we thought it would be a good idea to pitch some customised questions to a glamorous breezy and positive artist, as put together by someone with none of these qualities (Pete) ….
- If you were asked to suggest songs reflecting 1/ The month of May and 2/ The month of November which titles would you suggest? (artist /title) ..and do any of your own recordings fit the bill?
May – Coldplay –Yellow
Plus a song written by me from our new album My River
November – Gary Jules – Mad World
For a song written by me – Calling You
- Some fine pieces of music have been used over the opening titles of films – do you have a favourite? ( artist /title / film in which used)
Garbage – The World Is Not Enough – James Bond
When it came out people thought it was my song Free Will… it’s got a very similar vibe.
- Suggest a (recorded) male/female duet that we may not yet have heard but might enjoy or appreciate ( artists / title)…..French singer Zazie made a fine single with Paolo Nutini….
Female Katie Melua and male – Bono
- Which of your own compositions &/or recordings come closest to (or indeed are) jazz?
The Look of Love which is on my new album
- It has been said that you shouldn’t write songs when you’re in love ..what are your thoughts on this notion?
It’s true that we all write good songs in moments of pain but also when we are in love beautiful songs can be created (that’s one of the best responses we have had! – PS)
- Have you ever in your life/would you ever take part in a song or singing contest?
I did at the age of 7 and in the Israeli Eurovision contest but I won’t do it again.
- You receive two free tickets to a festival – where would you prefer this to be and what three acts would you like to see?
Glastonbury – Coldplay, U2, David Gray
- The radio is playing…what song would you cross the room to turn UP and what song would you cross the room to turn OFF?
Would turn up Yellow – Coldplay
Will turn off a very heavy metal music, so as I turn it off I can’t say a particular title but anything with hate, death and negativity, I just can’t listen.
- Suggest a song by any artist that makes you think of the coast/seaside….please add any reasons as to why this might be…
Seal – Crazy, remember when I heard it in the first time I was by the sea side on vacation . I felt in love with the song and since then I always feel “crazy” and wild when I hear it!
- A recording that makes you laugh ….intentionally or otherwise! (artist / track / source album)
The one and only song – Happy by Pharrell Williams!
- Name an album or a couple of albums where the cover or artwork could have been better, in your humble opinion….give any thoughts around this
I admire the beauty of Beyonce and album covers. She is one of best singers in the world but we are coming from a different place in our music but love her art work!
- Is there a song that both you and your Mum or Dad really like? Or liked?
- Name an actor or actress who made a listenable song recording – and what’s the appeal?
I love Jane Birkin’s album Arabesque
- Where are you planning to tour next?
In the UK, to promote the new album
- Which of your own recordings show you at your most a/ aggressive b/ relaxed
Aggressive – Beauty of the Duty
Relaxed – Floating
- Which artist did you go to see perform with no great expectations but ended up impressed? Where and when was this?
Jane Birkin. I came to see her in the Barbican and thought that she is so inspiring and natural . I loved it!
- Where in the world in your opinion is live music best received? What venues appeal?
The Royal Albert Hall, for me – the most elegant and beautiful building with amazing sound.
- Can you dance? Do you dance? How do your family rate your dancing?
I didn’t have a chance for long time but I used to dance ballet and also in parties and clubs when I was younger and yes, my family approved of my dancing
- Name a recording (an album maybe) that really ‘grew’ on you and has ended up as essential listening ? What is it about this recording that you value?
Goldfrapp – Felt Mountain . I like one or two songs from the start however this became one of my favourite albums – its the epic sound, her voice, the amazing production and great songs !
- Suggest a song that reminds you of your childhood – and why might this be?
She’s Got It by Shocking Venus – it was the first song that I dance in a party that my older sister organised, at home
- Is there a book or novel that you would like to create songs or the score for?
I already created a song to the book Mozart Letters . I took some of his beautiful love letters to his wife and match them to his Piano concerto K488 The song is called One Million Kisses and it’s on my new album.
Tally Koren’s new album ‘A Love Song For You’ is out now. For more information visit her official website: http://bit.ly/1rIpdS0
(Thanks to Tally and Cat)