- Suggest two or three great drum intros to songs or instrumentals – any genre
”Before the Trenches” (Bear Quartet) Just listen to that and you’ll get it
- Name a great recording including in the title 1/ Black 2/ White 3/ Blue
”Under the Blacklight” Rilo Kiley. I listened to that record through my teens and it has raised me in a way. Jenny Lewis made me the woman I am today. ”White Rabbit” Jefferson Airplane. HER. VOICE.
Either Blue Velvet / Bobby Vinton for the most beautiful chorus ever written, or (obviously) Blue / Joni Mitchell / Blue. Also, ”Blue (da ba dee)” / Eiffel 65 for the nostalgia factor. It takes me straight back to moonlight bowling and school dances in the gymnasium.
- A recording that makes you laugh ….intentionally or otherwise! (Artist/Track/Source Album)
Judy’s Turn To Cry (Leslie Gore). I assume you all have heard ”It’s My Party” by Leslie Gore. This is the follow-up and it just explains what happens after Leslie’s party, a super dysfunctional relationship and WHO THE **** IS THIS JOHNNY GUY and why does she want that total a-hole anyway? I laugh because it’s silly and Leslie needs to kick Johnny in the moose knuckle. (And there is an Italian version)
- David Bowie and Grace Jones record a duet – what song do they sing and who backs them?
They should do Simon & Garfunkel’s ”America” backed by the band from ”Young Americans”.
- Best 2nd or follow up album of all time and why? (I love The Doors ‘Strange Days’)
Spice Girls – Spice Up Your Life is underrated, over-hated and absolutely amaze balls.
- Where in the world in your opinion is live music best received and what venues appeal?
We played at a barn dance in Austin for a lot of high middle-aged people. They were absolutely amazing and it’s one of the most fun gigs we’ve ever done. So barns in Austin is always a hit.
- You get free tickets to attend the show of your dreams – who where and when?
If it was 1978 and I got tickets to see Elvis Costello and the Attractions play Lip Service live, I would be pretty stoked.
- Has a radio DJ anywhere ( and any era) ever impressed you and if so why?
Well, if a radio DJ could do handstands or complete astronaut training I suppose that would be kind of cool (does this lass gargle vinegar ? – PS )
- Can you dance? Do you dance? How do your family rate your dancing?
No. Yes, when drunk or lonely. My family must never know
- Name a recording (an album maybe) that really ‘grew’ on you and has ended up as essential listening ? What is it about this recording that you value?
Lana Del Rey’s ”Ride” really grew on me. Listening to it helped me build up the courage to throw out my ex-boyfriend, so that was definitely a plus.
- Everytime I get a ‘Best Of…’ of anybody, there’s a song or two missing that I wish had been included….can you think of an instance of this ? what are the missing items that you would like to have seen included?
Whoever compiled The Spice Girls’ Greatest Hits should really have included Saturday Night Divas. He or she did not and this must eventually have painful consequences
- Suggest a song that reminds you of your childhood – and why might this be?
Spice Girls ”Wannabe” because who wouldn’t wanna be a Spice Girl? *lame-a** rimshot*
- What has she worn that made you laugh?
Who? Rebecka? Her face.
- Is there a book or novel that you would like to create songs or the score for? Why is this?
I’d love to score Chuck Berry’s autobiography.
- Which is the best sequenced album- any artist, any genre – that you really rate and why is this ? any favourite songs or pieces on this album? (I like the running order of Spirit’s ‘ 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus’,by the end a lot of ground has been covered)
Honestly (and I’m sorry about this because you seem very nice but), I’m more of a listen-obsessively-to-one-single-song-for-days kinda gal. Tegan & Sara’s ”The Con” is nice, though.
- Boz Scaggs and Stevie Nicks record a song together – suggest a song and who would be in the band
Why not reassemble the Spice Girls and let Boz and Stevie sit this one out? More Spice Girls!
- Did you enjoy school ? Whether you did or not, which song reminds you of schooldays (artist / title / source album)?
Not really. The best part of the last three years was playing punk with Rebecka in the music room and trying to act cool enough to get to know the members of Pajala Truck Co. (this really great band from Pajala where the members were a little older than us). Pajala Truck Co. / Movements / Movements
For more information on The Magnettes visit: https://www.facebook.com/themagnettes?_rdr=p
(Thanks Olivia, thanks evil twins)